8 Jun 2009

Zappa Plays Zappa, Warsaw, Stodoła Club, June 3rd 2009









" INCA ROADS" as performed two weeks before Warsaw gig in Paris, Olympia


"This is it ! This is The Big One" quoting Frank Zappa, that's what I thought standing in front of Warsaw's Stodoła Club on a windy, yet sunny third day of June impatiently waiting for the only Polish Zappa Plays Zappa concert. I was familiarized with previous ZPZ incarnation and I knew more less what to expect from this gig. I was not disappointed, well how could I be if the concert consisted in 100% of ZPZ leader's father music? It was my first vivit to Stodoła and I have to say that I was really pleased with both the club's atmosphere and the acoustic of the place. The club was full of real individuals of various age and I really mean various age ranging from 9 to I don't know, 70? The band showed up on stage at 8:30 PM sharp and kicked off with emotional version of one of Frank's regular concert starters Black Napkins. Shivers, shivers, shivers all across my body. This night's setlist consisted of all manner of song from different decades of Frank's career, we even got the nice rendition of Synclavier-composed G-Spot Tornado. I was impressed by beautiful and really freak-out sax solos played by Scheila Gonzalez and the new vocalist Bob Thomas. At one moment I literally started crying when unexpectedly in the middle of Inca Roads Scheila started playing wonderful, really touching solo, I was in the empyrean that very moment. The whole concert was filled with amazing musicianship and some crazy, flamboyant solos (especially in Pound For A Brown On The Bus). As an encore the band performed among others one of the first Zappa compositions I've heard in my life, namely Willie The Pimp with a real dynamic guitar solo. The house light went on at precisely 22:30 PM and for next several quarters Dweezil and his band members were signing cover sleeves, tickets and whatever people approached them with. I had the opportunity to talk to Dweezil for a minute and thanked him for what he's doing in the remembrance of his late father. That was a truly magical evening and as close as possible to indescribable Frank Zappa concert phenomenon. Here I'd like to thank my dearest C. for making this evening possible and for being around me that day, also big thank yous to my beloved friend Asia for entertaining us and putting us up that night. Big kudos to both of you.

No comments: