24 Nov 2009

Puumaja - "Meriselityksia"




Yesterday upon my returning home after work I found the grey envelope with a stamp from Finland and inside the envelope, there was a newly released debut CD by my friend's, Mikko Merillainen, band Puumaja. I met Mikko back in the Spring of 2005 in Edinburgh and spent a great amount of time hanging around together discussing music, movies and male-female relations (that nasty, under-shower story was just insane). I was handed in a demo version of some of the tracks from "Meriselityksia" back in 2005 and now I am finally able to listen to their fully produced, often quite lavish versions and I am impressed. The album is so melodic, haunting and beautiful. Of course I've no idea what Mikko is singing about as it's all in Finnish but love it anyway. Thank you Mikko for such an nice and memorable gesture. "Meriselityksia" is going straight to my 2009 Top Albums list.

No comments: